Monday, June 5, 2006

Mary or Martha

I struggle with my priority list. In fact I feel overwhelmed to the point that sometimes I just find other things to fill up my time. Many of the choices are "good" things. They need to be done. There is always laundry, putting things away, cleaning something and a long list of errands. Many times I put these things ahead of necessary things such as having tea and reading books to my little boy. I was so busy last week trying to do a good thing (newsletter for my local homeschool support group) that my little one and his needs were put aside. I wanted the newsletter to be as perfect as possible because I knew that this was what was expected. So I kept working through his many requests for time with him. I completed and posted the newsletter. There was that sense of accomplisment and yet the feeling of guilt for skipping the time with my little one lingered. The next day I did have tea with my little one and we read many books. I enjoyed our special little moments. It turned out that there were some very minor mistakes with the newsletter and I spent hours fixing them (due to an major error that occured somewhere between posting the newsletter and then trying to go back in and fix the minor errors).

This morning I was reading about priorities in Lies Women Believe. The scripture reading was in the book of Luke and was addressing priority issues with Martha and Mary. Martha was focused on serving. Where was Mary? I read these verses from God's Word:

"but only a few things are necessary, really only one, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken from her."
Luke 10:42
So what was Mary doing?

"And she had a sister called Mary who moreover, was listening to the Lord's Word, seated at His feet."
Luke 10:39

So what should my first priority be?

To sit at His feet and listen to His words.

I know that when I look at life through God's glasses the time spent with Him and in His Word is most important. Relationships are important. The time spent loving and encouraging my little boy has an eternal significance. I want him to know and love God and to accept Jesus as his Lord and Saviour.
The time I spend loving and encouraging others and telling them about my Lord has an eternal significance. The newsletter though helpful to other homeschoolers will pass away. It is a helpful thing and I will continue to edit it but I will try to be much more aware that it is not what God has at the top of my priority list.........and it does not have to be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment