Sunday, April 23, 2006

Little Women Home Companion-March 2003

Little Women Home Companion
March 2003
That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at
home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.
Titus 2: 4-5
Goodness and Modesty
Having or showing a modest or humble estimate of one's merits
Webster's Dictionary
There is not much danger that real talent or goodness will be overlooked long; even if it is, the consciousness of possessing and using it well should satisfy one, and the great charm of all power is modesty.
Lousia May Alcott
~*~
A Visit With Marmee
Sharing A Mother's Thoughts
Dear Mothers and Daughters,
Even as a young child I longed to be good and pleasing to my family. I remember doing little things like picking flowers and putting them beside my mother's bed hoping that this would please her. Looking back, I realize that my intentions were not only to be pleasing but to be noticed by the person that I was trying to please.
In this chapter of Little Women we find Amy trying to please the girls in her class; but her motives are not pure. She wants to please them to bring honor to herself. She even refuses to share her precious limes with a few of the girls in her class. How like Amy we all can be. We want to be noticed. We want to bring honor and glory to ourselves. Our focus is not on our Lord but on ourselves.
As my walk with God deepens I realize that I need not feel my days with "works" to try to please Him. Jesus paid the price for my sins by his death on the cross. I am to believe upon Him, repent of my sins, ask Him into my heart as Lord and Saviour and to follow Him. The good things I do now are through His strength and to bring honor to His holy name. I am to use the gifts and talents He has blessed me with to glorify Him. I hope that we will all remember that our goodness and talents come from Him.
Jenny
~*~
Poetry Thyme
My Gift
What can I give Him
Poor as I am;
If I were a shepherd,
I would give Him a lamb.
If I were a wise man,
I would do my part.
But what can I give Him?
I will give my heart.
Christina Rossetti
~*~
Tea Thyme
Tea Time Manners
Dear Young Ladies, Teatime is a very special time for young ladies and I thought I would share with you some rules of etiquette to consider when having tea with a friend.1) Dress appropriately for the tea. Usually this will mean a dress and perhaps a hat. Keep in mind that dirty clothes and hands are not appropriate.2) Arrive either slightly ahead or on time for the tea. Do you best not to keep your hostess waiting.3) Dispose of gum before arriving. Should you forget find a waste basket to dispose of it in as soon as possible.4) Be on your best behavior: no loud talking, joking or horseplay.5) Handle the china very carefully so as to not damage it.6) Make sure that you speak with all the young ladies so that no one feels slighted.7) Always try a nibble of everything withholding any comment of not liking something.8) Eat only in areas set aside by the hostess. If in doubt, ask.9) Always thank your hostess for their invitation.I hope these rules will help you to better enjoy your teatimes.Blessings,
Jenny
~*~
The Work Basket
I am forever looking for things to help me with being organized. This wonderful site has many free printables for homeschoolers. There are pages for schedules as well pages for all the subjects that you teach. I especially love the lined paper pages for beginning writers. This is a wonderful site and I know you will enjoy it.
http://donnayoung.org/index.htm
~*~
Thimbles and Threads
A Simple Apron
Use an old twin size sheet to make an apron.1) Measure 32 inches from the bottom of the sheet up and cut across the width. This the main part of your apron.2) Cut a 5 inch wide strip across the width of your sheet.3) Fold the strip in half and press.4) Open the strip up and fold and press the edges toward the center of the strip on both sides.5) Now fold the strip in half again with all the edges inside and press.6) Gather the top of your main apron piece.7) Measure 14 inches from the middle outward of the 5 inch strip and place a pin. Do this on both sides.8) Beginning at one pin and finishing at the other, pin gathered edge of main apron piece inside of the 5 inch strip making sure to adjust gathers carefully. Pin all in place.9) Now begin sewing as close to the edge as possible on the 5 inch strip all the way across. Enjoy your new apron.

~*~
From Jo's Writing Garret
Dear Mothers and Daughters,
A few weeks ago I read With an Everlasting Love by Kay Arthur. It is about a half Jew and half Gentile young woman. Christiana has a hard life because of her blood.
Joshua the son of the richest man in the city loves Christiana. His father agrees and the young man starts sending her letters asking for her hand in marriage and telling her to constantly read the letters he has sent her. Christiana was surprised How could someone she had never seen before love her? After much thinking upon the matter she accepts his proposal. Joshua has a friend take his place when taking vows and sends a message telling her he will come soon. But what is so wonderful about this is Joshua tells Christiana he loves her, "With an Everlasting Love." Nothing she could do would make him love her less. Through the many years Christiana waits for her Joshua to come her. The excitement some what drifts away. The letters that were sent her are not being read as they should and she does something that would seem to stop Joshua from loving her. When Joshua does come Christiana is so happy. Later when Christiana tells him what she had done, he says he loves her with an everlasting love and that he wishes she had waited. This book portrays the lives of Christians and their walk with the Lord. Sometimes in our daily walk with him the road can get tough. But just to think of all God has done for me and what God will do for me helps me to hold on. We should read God's word and pray to him or else, like Christiana, we will drift away.
But Lord truly loves us with an everlasting love. Nothing in this world we could ever do would make him loves us less.
In Christ,
Caiti
~*~
The Cottage Pantry
Oven-fried Potatoes
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish. Peel and cut into bite size chunks 6-8 medium size potatoes. Sprinkle these generously with Lawry's seasoning salt and parsley. Put into your casserole dish and cut 3 tablespoons of margarine into chunks and place on top. Cover tightly with foil and bake till desired tenderness (30-45 minutes).
This idea was from watching my dear sister in law in her kitchen. The parsley was an extra idea that I had to make it look pretty.
Jenny's Egg Salad
Hard boil, peel and dice 8 eggs. Add 3/4 cup of Miracle Whip, 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and serve on fresh homemade rolls.
Enjoy!
~*~
Sparrow Post
Dear Young Ladies,*Today I want to share with you a sweet letter from a dear friend. She expressed in her letter the importance of being careful about how we use words. I wanted to share this with you my dear friends. It is something we should all think carefully about.Lady Jenny Anne
Dear Lady Jenny Anne,It has been so long since our last letter. I want to share with you and your friends a story about using words. I am grieved about my behavior sometimes. One morning I awoke very tired and grumpy. There were chores that I was asked to do and I complained about them. My sisters asked questions and I snapped at them. I was grumpy with everyone and everything. That afternoon my dear friend Patience come by and asked for me to have tea with her and her dear friend Endurance. I have to admit that I felt feelings of jealousy at having to share my friend with another and I am afraid that I said unkind works that hurt my dear friend. I ran off to my room crying. After awhile I calmed down and felt convicted of my sin. I began to read my Bible. I found these verses:Colossians 4:6 Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.Proverbs 13:3He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life: but he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction.Oh Jenny, I went before the Lord on my knees and asked forgiveness for how I had used my mouth. I had not considered what I had said to anyone. I had been unkind. The Lord forgave me and I went to my mother and sisters and asked their forgiveness. After asking permission, I went to Patience's home. I found her on the veranda with Endurance. I felt a little shy but went before my friend and asked her forgiveness. Oh Jenny, she forgave me and also asked me to join them for tea. It was a lovely afternoon and at the end of it I had found a new friend in Endurance too.! Oh what I had almost missed because of my words.With Love,Miss Amy March
~*~
Our Window Seat
Book Reviews
PollyannaByEleanor H. PorterIf you enjoy reading encouraging books with optimistic characters then this is a book that you will enjoy. Pollyanna, our main character, has been taught by her parents to look for things to be glad for. When her parents pass away she comes to live with her aunt. Pollyanna's bright and sunny outlook on life begins to touch everyone in the little town that she lives in. She visits the sick, forgotten and orphaned bringing love and comfort into their lives. Unfortunately her love does not bring changes into the life of her dear aunt until something tragic happens.This book and it's sequel Pollyanna Grows Up are wonderful additions to any young girl's library. I read them as an adult and very much enjoyed them.
Jenny
~*~
The Rose Garden
Websites that you may enjoy. We may or may not agree with everything that you find on these pages!
I love clothing from the past and thought that some of you might too. Here is a website with beautiful patterns for clothing from the past.
http://sensibility.com/

~*~
Marmee's Nature Journal
Recently I enjoyed a beautiful day outdoors with my family. My daughter and I pruned some of our greenery while the men dug holes for some trees that we will be planting. I had made a large work apron with large pockets for gardening earlier that week. How handy those pockets were for holding my gloves and gardening shears. Once finished my daughter and I made some egg salad sandwiches on homemade rolls for a little picnic. We sat outside with the sun shining on our faces and enjoyed the beauty of God's day. These moments in time are so very special to me. To many they would seem mundane but I like our times at home.
Jenny
~*~
Till Next Thyme
Dear Mothers and Daughters,
So many times as mothers and daughters we look back over our days and feel discourages about what we have accomplished. I had an idea to help rid myself of these feelings and think that some of you might find this helpful too. Make a list of what you do all day long each day for a week. List everything, leaving nothing off your list. At the end of your week look back over your list. I think you will feel pleasantly surprised at all that you did accomplish. We look forward to our visit with you next month.
Jenny and Caiti
~*~
Many of the articles in this issue were used by permission from my daughter. They originally appeared in her magazines Follow Your Heart and An Old Fashioned Girl Gazette which she writes and publishes for a few friends.
~*~
Little Women Home Companion is a monthly
newsletter for mothers and daughters.
Copyright 2003-2004 Little Women Home Companion
If you would like to share this newsletter with a friend you must include the entire newsletter (do not copy and paste parts of it). Please also include our address as follows so they can have the opportunity to subscribe.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LittleWomenHomeCompanion
~Blessings~
~*~*~*~
~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment